Bacon wrapped dates – one of my favorite foods and possibly the reason my husband fell in love with me. They are amazing! I stuff mine with manchego cheese (and leave a few unstuffed so I don’t over-splurge on the dairy). The combination is addicting. If you need a quick, impressive appetizer for a party or just a whole food treat for yourself – give these a try.
Dates are a staple in my kitchen. If you try to avoid processed sugars these are such a perfect snack or dessert. I grab about a half a pound every week to keep around the kitchen and they always satisfy my sweet tooth.
Just be sure you are getting fresh Medjool dates from the produce section, and not the diced, dried ones sold in the aisle. Major difference in freshness, flavor and texture.
Ingredients (makes 2 dozen, easily adapt as needed)
- 24 dates
- 12 slices bacon, cut in half
- 24 bite sized pieces of manchego cheese
- 24 toothpicks
- parchment paper
- slice each date open lengthwise and remove the pit
- place a piece of manchego in the center, and close the halves back together
- wrap a 1/2 piece of bacon around the date and use a toothpick to secure
- bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until bacon is cooked to the desired crispness. Flip halfway through so the bacon cooks evenly
- these can be made without the cheese entirely, or experiment with a different cheese
- adjust the quantities as needed, works great just for two or a party appetizer for large crowds